Friday, June 20, 2014

A Funny Story

           The other day something pretty funny happened to me. I was trying to find my way to a certain street. I did not have a map so I wasn’t sure if I had passed the street or not yet. I decided it would probably be a good idea if I asked someone for help. I went into a little cafe to see if anyone in there could help me.
I was trying really hard to explain to a man sitting alone at a table in Spanish where I needed to go. It was a bit of a struggle understanding each other. I obviously do not know a ton of Spanish and my accent is horrible and for some strange reason his was not too great either. I couldn’t really make out a lot of what he was saying. I thought maybe he was just from a different part of Spain and his accent was different. I didn’t want to be rude and just walk away because he was clearly willing to help me so we wound up struggling to speak and understand each other for about 10 minutes. 
Eventually I think he understood I was getting frustrated and had no idea where I was or where I was going. I think he felt bad for me so he finally said something that confused me more than anything because I understood so clearly every word he said. With a very thick British accent he said, “I am so sorry. I have been living here for a few weeks now and I am really trying to practice my Spanish any time I can and you seemed like you were doing the same”. At that point all I could do was laugh. Eventually he helped me figure out where I was going.  
It was just really interesting to see that we are not the only ones here who are trying to embrace the culture and learn the language.  


No comments:

Post a Comment