Thursday, June 12, 2014

Stereotypes

After speaking with my language partner I learned a little about some of the stereotypes of Spaniard and Americans. Some of the Spanish stereotypes I have heard include; being lazy, being alcoholics, and being partiers. For the most part I can see where some of these things could be seen in the Spanish culture however I don’t really think that these are fair assumptions. They consider themselves lazy because students never really work and everything closes for siesta time in the middle of the day. I consider this to be smart. Students should be focusing on their studies and siestas refresh you for the rest of the day. There is also nothing wrong with having a drink or two with your meal. It is good for you and sometimes makes the food taste better. As for being partiers, I think they just know how to have a good time. I guess the fact that clubs are really crowded on weekdays makes me think that maybe they are a little party crazy. I know for myself, I would not be able to do that on a regular basis.
Some of the stereotypes they said about Americans is that we are all really rich and are always able to buy whatever we want. I guess they might get that idea from tv and the way we live. A lot of us do live in houses and our parents have decent jobs but I know I am not rich in the least so that is definitely not true in my eyes.  

I think stereotypes can be a little dangerous. I know my mom was nervous to send me here for school because of some of the stereotypes that she heard, especially the partying part. After being here for about 2 weeks I can see the great parts of this culture and see that the people here are amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment